Saturday, November 15, 2008

It's the Little Things...

I've come to realize that it's the little things in life that really make me happy.  Today I was in my downtown area just walking around.  I went to an art gallery called "UpFront" and just looked around at the art and wished I could afford some of it.  It always amazes me that galleries that are just starting, have artists who are charging $8000 for a piece.  In this town, I hope they'll be able to survive; It's a nice change of pace.  I also went down to the shoe repair shop, which by the way I'm amazed we still have; walking in there it feels like I stepped back into the 1950's.  I loved it.  The smell of brand new shoes and leather.  This little German man runs the store; I remember him from my church.  I couldn't believe he charged me $5 to fix my UGGS.  It was so cute, he says to me "well these are going to have to be hand sewn so it's going to cost you a little bit more"  I'm expected $25 or more, which I'd be willing to pay because those damn ugly things are so comfortable, but he charged me $5!  I can't believe he's still in business after all these years with prices like that.  I know a little bit about his life; about the loss of his son, who was the designated driver one night but was killed by an oncoming driver while taking his friends home.  People like his son are looking down on him from Heaven; maybe that's why his store has been open so long.  

I had another great day with my mom.  I couldn't ask for a better mom.  She is my best friend, well her and my "husband."  I love going for walks with her.  Granted we kick each other's ass and do 8 miles, but man if I can do what she does at her age, I'll be in a pretty damn good place.  I love talking with her; I love reminiscing with her about my grama or about her life growing up or even mine.  I know it's crazy, but she better live forever or my "husband" is going to have a really hard time keeping me from crying day in and day out.  I  think my mom doesn't realize sometimes how much she means to us, meaning my brothers and I, but without her, we wouldn't be the family we are, or the people we are.  She's done so much and she doesn't even realize how grateful we all are.  I hope she realizes it someday.  We might move out of the house and we might not be able to get together on all the holidays, but we would do anything for each other, and we'll always pick up the phone to see how life is going.  She's the reason I could never move away without knowing I could take her with me.

I had a good day at work.  I really like working with my boss, we're both wise asses so it works.  Oh how things have changed since I first started there.  No more taking anybody's crap.  I like having days with no stress, it feels like such a relief.  I came home from work and I have warm peppermint tea waiting for me on the counter.  I really couldn't ask for a better man.  It's the little things that make me happy; he makes me so happy... 

Calories burned: 2665
Calories consumed: 1460 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails