Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Year Ago Today...

A year ago today I was filled with so many emotions. February 9th is my deceased grama's birthday and after a long day of work I came home to a somewhat cranky hubby (although at the time, he was still "hubby", not in the legal sense). My hubby usual runs on the same emotion when it comes to me: happy. So, it was a strange day. As always my customers would push and tease me about why we weren't married yet, why we hadn't gotten engaged yet... I proceeded to explain ourselves: marriage wasn't that big of a deal to us, we knew we'd always be together, what's a piece of paper, maybe we'll do it before we decide to start a family, we own a house together isn't that enough for you people, etc. Everyone was pushing us from the time we became a couple. We were that couple that everyone thought would marry right away. Two months into dating, we were expected to get hitched and have a baby. Everyone saw that as our future, except for us. Still we took the time to get to know each other, even though we were head over heels from go. Despite his trying to put up walls, I broke them down. I knew he was my husband. I knew I found him two months in. But never did I expect him to ask me to marry him! We spent years justifying ourselves on why we didn't need to get married, that when he asked me, I was in disbelief. Here's how it went...

I came home from work around 1 a.m. after a day filled with marriage talk to a "hubby" that was very cuddly after being grumpy during the day. In the kitchen he asked me to dance with him. Now he wouldn't want people to know this, but we do this a lot. Granted there's no music most of the time, but every time I still ask him to sing to me. His response is, "what do you want me to sing" even though he usually goes for our song: Snow Patrol, Chasing Cars. So I asked him while we were dancing, "what song are you thinking of" and he started singing in my ear..."if I lay here, if I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world..." Cheek to cheek and arms wrapped around each other- this is the way I'll always picture our love for each other.

After our dance in the kitchen we went to sit down and watch a DVR'd episode of American Idol. Once it started he paused it and looked at me and wanted to know if he could ask me a question (this was silly, of course, he could ask me anything). In my head, I sat there and looked at him and said, "of course I'll marry you." Granted this was all in my head. Then he looked at me and said it. Those four words every girl dreams of, even if she says it's not that important: "Will You Marry Me?" I couldn't believe he asked it. I thought I was still in my head where I already answered the question. I said, "are you serious?" and then he said the most beautiful words that a man can say to a woman... Sorry, you can't know it all. I won't give all the details, but the jist of it was that I was his best friend and lover and that he couldn't picture his life with anyone but me. I've never heard more a more beautiful monologue. I just cried. And cried. And of course I said YES! He asked me without the ring, but he had it made special for me and it wasn't finished yet. Hey, we're the people who start unwrapping presents on December 13th, so did you expect him to wait until he had the ring? I wouldn't of had it any other way. We're very impatient. It was perfectly us. I found out on that night that he traveled to jewelry stores for the 4 C's of diamonds in order to find the perfect one for me. He knew what my dream ring was, but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd get it. Then two weeks later, outside of his job, he gave it to me. Oh and the tears, they came flowing all over again. My dream ring...

About a year ago, showing my engagement ring to friends via photo booth

A one carat emerald cut diamond with trillions on the side. Oh ring, I will never forget the moment that you first came to your home on my finger. I still stare at it when I'm driving. Or when the light hits it in just the right manner. I'm a sucker for a classic look. It's so vintage. I still can't believe he gave me this ring. I'll never forget the day he asked me. I'll never forget the love I feel for this man on a daily basis. Now not only do I remember my grama's birthday on February 9th, I also remember it as a celebration of our love. I think it's perfectly fitting since I was born on my grama and grandpa's wedding anniversary.

And to my married people: have you ever noticed how your wedding ring finds just the right spot to settle into? That even when you take it off, there's that spot that says, "yup, I'm taken, and even without my gorgeous bling, I'll never forget it."

Wow. I'm starting to have my mom's hands too!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails