Friday, January 29, 2010

It's a New Day...

I've been a little busy lately. I decided to reinstall my InDesign program that I used for my copyediting and layout class, in order to play around with some ideas I've had. One was to make a new banner for my blog. I think it turned out pretty good. What do you think? The other InDesign project was to do a drink menu for the restaurant I work at. Business has been great, but having a drink menu on a table is like bringing a kid to the check out lane with candy at Walmart; you know somehow they just can't resist. I have to do a little editing, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome, so hopefully they'll be coming to a table near you. Well, if you eat at the restaurant I work at.

On top of being sick for the past few days, I've been emotionally drained as well. My internship with the magazine is overwhelming. I just can't understand why the PR people for these companies don't contact you when you're basically offering free publicity. I've sent out so many e-mails in the past two months. So many are unanswered. But I have to admit, when the editor/publisher showed me the mock up of the one section I worked on and I saw my name in the byline, I couldn't help but smile from ear to ear. I know it's cheesy. I know it's nothing too exciting other than product information, but look mom, I picked those products! I wrote that product information! Pretty exciting stuff right? Not really, but it did make me smile. And I'm sure my mom will too. But I've found out through this internship that this is not for me. I want to write. I want to be creative. I want to not stare at computer screens looking for products that I'll never be able to afford. I want to write about lives and impact lives. One day I'll get there.

I'm trying to live with this in mind

My hubby is a great person to get advice from. At the beginning of last semester I thought I was going to absolutely fail all of my classes, but the hubby wouldn't let me get down on myself. I was wrong about failing the semester. Even though it was my hardest, it was also my best. I grew so much as a writer and had amazing teachers. I also learned to use InDesign, which I plan on playing around with more and more. I may not be great at it yet, but it's just fun to play around with.

Right now I'm trying to get things together after having contractors in the house. I still need to call the painter and I still need to have the new mirror put up. I'm still staring at the plastic covered shower wall when I take a bath. But then I sit there in the warm bubbles with the jets pressing against my skin and I actually forget that this is what I'm looking at...





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails