Monday, December 27, 2010

There Are Only a Few Things I Hate in Life...

Of the few things I hate in life, snow is one of them!  Well, not exactly the snow, but shoveling the snow, driving in the snow, and being just plain cold in the snow!  Don't get me wrong, I love to look at the snow, but when it comes to actually being in the snow, I've come to hate it!

In New York, we missed the white Christmas by a day, but I can't complain too much because there were a few snowflakes flying in the air.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think I could live in a place where it's warm around Christmas; it's just, weird.  Although, I'm sure they're not complaining right now about the weather like I am.

Every year, my hubby and I argue over the clearing of our driveway.  It's one of the only things that we can't do without at least one spat.  It never fails.  He wakes me up way too early to help him shovel and I bitch and complain, but I put my winter jacket and boots on kicking and screaming!  I absolutely hate shoveling the snow.  My back hurts.  My feet get cold.  My glasses fog up.  The worst part of it all is, he doesn't give me the few minutes to get some warm caffeine into my system before working me to death.  Now, I may be exaggerating, but he's very OCD about how the driveway is cleared.

Now, first I have to say that our driveway is very steep.  If you come up our driveway, you have to use your parking break.  Every time.  And my little civic is not the best in the snow.  We only got about seven inches at our house, but when I came home from work early yesterday with only about three on the ground, my car still couldn't get up all the way.  It sucks!  I guess that's why the hubby insists on clearing the driveway until the blacktop shines.  First, we shovel out our cars, then we snow blow, then we get the shovels out and scrape it down to the blacktop.  Then, we either hope for the sun to shine or we put salt down to melt the last of it.  Then we have to clear a path for our stairs going up to our porch and our back porch and of course to our propane tank (did you know that you have to do that if you receive gas or propane from a company?  I didn't!).  It's just exhausting!  It took us about two hours today and I'm pretty sure that after we had lunch we both passed out for at least a half hour.  Ordering our lunch from the spot we like to go is kind of funny; I place the order and then they ask the name and when I say it's for my hubby they go, "Oh, it's for you guys!  Hi honey, we'll have that ready for you!"  It's kind of comical.  I guess we're eating out a little too much lately.  The ten pounds on my ass kind of helps tell that story a little better than my words could ever describe.

So, our snowstorm is over and our driveway is sparkling.  At the end of the day we're both so happy that it's over; we look at our neighbors' driveways and wonder why they would decide to wait until 6 p.m. to start shoveling and we're thrilled at our accomplishment.  Is it an accomplishment when you have the shiniest driveway on the block after a snowstorm?  Well, we think so.

We live in New York and we constantly wonder why the news overplays coverage of a snow storm.  We live in New York people!  It snows here!  Granted, the city got more than us this time around, but man can they beat a dead horse!  It snowed, wait for it to stop, stay at home until it's cleaned up, end of story, right?  Nope, never.  They need 24 hours of coverage like it's TBS covering "A Christmas Story"!

I survived the blizzard of 2010... or even better, I survived another round of my hubby and I clearing our driveway.  Go me!  Now, get me a heating pad, a blanket, and a cup of tea and I'll be happy.  Maybe some cuddle time too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails