Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Good Things...

You know that old adage, "nothing in life is for free" ?- Well, it may be true, but every once in awhile you get a really good deal. Sometimes, good things in life really do come for free, even if there are some stipulations.

A couple of weeks ago I was really randomly checking out craigslist just to see what was new with the site. Now, when I was in NYC, I checked out craigslist frequently. For jobs, for stuff. Sometimes, just to pass the time because it was the "in" thing to do at the time. After moving back upstate I really haven't looked at the site for years. But for some reason I just decided to check it out. Lucky me, the first time I ever really used the site, actually paid off for me. I went under the category of "free" just to see what came up and there it was, a 1907 Gordon & Son piano. I really couldn't believe it. In the picture the piano looked like it was in pretty good shape and the family was giving it away for free, just so they could "reclaim the space." I couldn't believe it. It had to be too good to be true right? Well, I emailed the poster and to my surprise I was quickly given a response back, that yes the piano was still available and it was, indeed, free. The only stipulation was that the piano had to be moved by professional movers because the owners didn't want their hardwood floors ruined. So, I called movers and found that it could be done for $250. After checking out the piano with my hubby and seeing that the piano was in really good shape, we decided to go for it.

Now, you may be thinking, "you play piano?" — well, not exactly. I know the keys and I know how to get around on some notes, but I do not play per say. However, I'd love to learn a bit more and the hubby and I have both decided that music is very important to our future child. Yup, child. Now you may be thinking, "whoa, you're pregnant?" Nope, we're not pregnant, but one day we would like to be. Possibly. Either way, it's always been a dream of mine to own a piano. And even if we have to restore it eventually, it will be way worth the price tag of zero dollars. Well, $250 if you really want to count the movers. But it's been well worth the journey. Now I find myself looking at craigslist a little more often, just incase there are more free deals out there. I still can't believe that I have this great piano in our basement. I love to go down and play around. It would be great to hear a little one on there one day. Maybe they could actually play play, not play like I play— like a rooster pecking for food...


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails